School!

6:52 PM

Monday was the start of a new semester (my last year of grad school!) so I figured this is the perfect time to start actually posting regularly. Speaking of starting things, I also started studying for the MCAT on Sunday. I started slow, with a diagnostic test, but combining MCAT studying with taking biochemistry for the first time gives me the feeling that this semester is going to be rough. This semester, in addition to biochem, I’m taking disease surveillance and health statistics, global maternal and child health, and field epidemiology. I’ll also be working on my practicum, which is the required practical public health experience for my program that we do instead of writing a thesis. Also, since my last post, at work I’ve been moved from a general research position to a position on the management team. This means I’ll be making a few minute changes to my work wardrobe to fit it a bit more closely to someone in a management position rather than a research assistant.


top: Tommy Hilfiger, pants: Betina Lou, shoes: Wanted

Summer seems to be ending, thankfully, which means I’ll be able to start wearing pants again! This day the high was in the mid-80s, but I spent most of that time indoors with a particularly aggressive air conditioning system, and when I was outside it was a rather breezy 70-something degrees. This outfit is the kind of outfit I’m the most comfortable in, and the kind I’ll start wearing more and more as the weather gets cooler. The shoes are my favorite. There’s just something about oxfords that I adore. I sent this to my brother and he told me it was an “Ellen Page look” which made me incredibly happy because I adore her style. This is a slightly more casual work look, which I indulged in because I wanted to be comfortable and because I recently finished shadowing in an infectious disease clinic and wanted to take a break from dressing uber-professional.



FACT OF THE DAY!

Corvids (crows and jays) are incredibly susceptible to West Nile Virus, and can die from it. However, other birds (like chickens) can have subclinical infection. Birds are the reservoir species for West Nile, which is spread by Culex mosquitoes.

source: my Field Epidemiology lecture for the day

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts